zaterdag, februari 05, 2005

Bowie & Pop in Berlin


Otto Müller, 1916, Lovers between garden walls

-a cut-up love story-
secret, secret, never seen

Don't you wonder sometimes
You'll never know the real story
Just a couple of dreams
What can I do about my dreams?

Some of these days it’s Monday
I'm through with sleeping on the sidewalk
Maybe I'll take something to help me
And walk through a desert song when the heroine dies

I am an easy mark with my broken heart
It's not the side-effects of the cocaine
Should I believe that I've been stricken?
Does my face show some kind of glow?

[I'm thinking that it must be love]

You're such a wonderful person, Boy
Thanks for hesitating
You got me playing the fool
Now I'm an idiot for you

Your lips cut a smile on your face
Your scalding face
I kiss you in the rain
Yes we're lovers, and that is that

And when I get excited, we get into the car
Gonna drive back down where you once belonged
See the city’s ripped insides
And the stars that shine so bright

Oh, but I'm always crashing in the same car
In the back of a dream car twenty foot long
Now baby I know, that’s not normal
But I love you, I love you

Nightclubbing, we're nightclubbing
Come down and dance with me
Dance with me in the last ditch
Nothing is wrong but darling, something's in the way

You, you can be mean
And I, I'll drink all the time
But everything will be alright tonight
Here in this old saloon, way back in West Berlin

Please be mine
Share my life
Stay with me

I'll stick with you baby for a thousand years



Experiment/oefening/associatieve verbanden trachtten te vangen: tekst verkregen middels cut-up van de ‘lyrics’ van albums Station to Station, Low en “Heroes” [David Bowie], The Idiot en Lust for Life [Iggy Pop]. (bijna) Allemaal ‘ontstaan’ in (de aanloop naar) de periode dat beide artiesten in Berlijn woonden en werkten. Regels uit de oorspronkelijke teksten zijn grotendeels intact gelaten, om de herkenbaarheid voor de liefhebber erin te houden. :-)

1 Comments:

Blogger willem said...

hey, thanks!

dat 'meezingen' maakte het voor mij zelf ook een aangename aangelegenheid, al zat 't soms wat in de weg. begon ik weer te zingen (of, soms: de plaat op te zetten) i.p.v. me met de tekst bezig te houden...

12:19 a.m.  

Een reactie posten

<< Home